Ideally you should take your fountain into a garage or shed for the winter. This will ensure that it is protected from the damaging winter weather. However, this isn't always possible, so here are the steps to follow to winterize your outdoor concrete fountains:
- Drain all the water out of the fountain prior to the onset of freezing nights.
- Remove the pump from the basin and bring the pump indoors. This is good time to clean up your pump, remove debris and algae that have accumulated throughout the season.
- If possible elevate your fountain off the ground so it does not freeze to the ground surface. If the base of the fountain has any soil or water accumulating around it, it may cause expansion and contraction and possibly lead to cracking.
- Cover your fountain with a tarp or some other waterproof material to prevent moisture from getting into the fountain.
- Fill each basin with burlap sacks or old blankets or other absorbent material to keep condensation from accumulating and freezing inside. This will prevent cracking due to expansion and contraction from moisture.